Shun DM0706 classic 8 inch chef’s knife review
All-Purpose Blade for a Full Range of Cutting Tasks with Curved Blade for Easy Cuts; Cutlery Handcrafted in Japan with Pakkawood handle. This DM0706 is what you need for your home cook.
This Shun DM0706 classic 8 inch chef’s knife is a great gift for any newlyweds who need an excellent knife for their kitchen. Shun is a very well-known premium cutlery brand and originate in Japan. The word Shun (pronounced as ‘shoon’) refers to a particular time in the year when fruits are at their sweetest, when vegetables are perfectly ripe, perfectly fresh, and perfectly delicious. As you may have known, Japanese is well known for its samurai sword. Likewise, this classic 8″ chef knife by Shun will live to its standard.
This handcraft in Japan knife (in Seki city) contains a blade steel called VG-MAX instead of VG10. The term VG-Max is a good thing as it builds on a highly successful VG10 formula to bring a super steel to this perfectly fit to your hand chef knife. If i can compare, using VG-Max blade is like driving a Ferrari car, it simply powerful!
You may wonder why would you care? Yes, you need to care for the handle. Consider this: you expect the chef knife to last for a very long time, consider that they are not cheap, in fact this Shaun knife is on sale on amazon for more than 100 USD. Hence, to have a good and strong resilient handle is as important as having a sharp ultra premium blade. This is why Pakkawood handle is important.
Unlike normal wood, the Pakkawood is waterproof, incredibly durable, and won’t harbor bacteria. Pakkawood is used as knife handles because of these resilient property. As a matter of fact, my old chef knife has been with me since 2010, and now in 2020 its handle is still as awesome since it takes the wear and tear of daily usage very well.
The shape of this DM0706 is D-shaped which prevents it from twisting while in the grip of hand and maintains a firm grip. Who would wants a slippery knife in their kitchen? Not me 🙂
What is Shun Classic 8-in. Chef’s Knife good for?
Great question, this 8 inches Chef knife is ideal for for preparing fruits and vegetables. You could also use this to slice fishes for instance. Of course, you would not use the Chef’s knife for hard meat or cut the bone, instead use more heavy duty knife, please. This Japanese style chef knife is less heavy than its European counter part. Which means less tiring when you use it in your kitchen.
- With VG-MAX steel, a formula exclusive to Shun with extra tungsten for a sharper edge, more chromium for corrosion resistance and additional cobalt and carbon for strength and durability
- With ebony PakkaWood; PakkaWood is a hardwood infused with resin for a durable, water resistant finish, perfect for easy cleaning and tough enough for constant use
- For proper slicing, push the knife forward and down while cutting through food and then pull it up and back, repeating the process in a “locomotive” motion; this prevents chipping for smooth cuts
- The 8-in Chef Knife is a staple kitchen utensil and a great gift for newlyweds, homeowners, parents, grandparents, cooks, aspiring chefs, hostesses or to keep as a personal kitchen tool.
If you only have one choice for chef’s knife, this shun DM0706 knife is my recommendation. It is versatile, easy to use, easy to clean, not heavy and yet last for a very long time.
Remember to check out video review of the DM0706 chef’s knife below, before making the purchase.
- - Super strong blade based on VG-Max technology
- - Waterproof D-shape Pakkawood handle for longevity
- - Highly anti-corrosive property
- - Not very cheap
- - May not be ideal for left-handed person
Specification: Shun DM0706 classic 8 inch chef’s knife review