Granite Rock Pan Review As Seen on TV
You might have seen one of those television commercials where the chef freely stirs or toss the vegetables and herbs in the granite rock pan. You would also have wondered how he does it so smoothly, his vegetables and herbs do not even stick to each other. All master chefs today, use non-stick pans because they are not only hustled free but are also beneficial for health. Non-stick cookware can be made up of granite or other materials. In this guide, I’ll attempt to do a granite rock pan reviews from my research.
The material, granite, is used to make frying pans and other common types of kitchen cookware like stockpots, saucepans, etc. Granite cookware is often made up of stainless-steel core and topped with a glass coating. Most granite cookware has a porcelain enamel fused at 2000-degrees Fahrenheit or has a mineral coating. This creates a non-stick glass surface that’s non-porous and inert. Because of the advancement in technology, granite cookware has become much lightweight than it was before.
If you are impressed by the features of the granite rock pan and intend to buy one, here is a short review of a granite rock frying pan that would help you out.
Granite stone Non-stick Frying Pan-As Seen On TV
The rock-like finish of this pan gives it an eye-pleasing texture. Granite pans are pretty much lighter weight than steel or bronze made pans. They are highly non-stick which means either you use any oil/butter or not, the pan is still going to give you hustle free and non-stick frying with satisfying results.
This pan is made up of pressed aluminum and the granite rock layers that are embedded in it. Because of this quality, this rock pan retails at a low price which is a nice fit for your budget.
What’s special about the Stone Granite Pan?
Unlike most of the non-stick pans available in the market, the Granite Rock Pan does not use Teflon or PFOA for the non-stick coating. The current trend is towards a healthier lifestyle and a greener environment. That is why people are increasingly moving towards non-Teflon pans and surprisingly, like other non-stick pans, this frying pan does not use Teflon or PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic acid). The interior base of granite pans is made of pressed aluminum which provides quick heating and even heat distribution which makes sure that the food is cooked or fried evenly. Such an inner construction makes those pans lightweight and energy-efficient.
Why not Teflon of PFOA?
Although Teflon or PFOA (Which stands for Perfluorooctanoic Acid) coated pans ensures high levels of non-stick properties, but the general belief is that Teflon cookware is harmful to the environment and potentially causes long-term effects on our health. Scientists have found that Teflon is somehow connected to cancer. These health concerns have given rise to all sorts of nonstick cookware brands that are marketed as PFOA-free and can be used to cook without any oil or butter.
Details and Features of the Granite Rock Pan
This Granite Rock Pan has some unique features which will surely insist you to invest in one.
- This pan does not require even a drop of oil or butter for frying purposes because nothing sticks on this pan. You can easily fry eggs without getting them to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- The non-stick properties of this pan are not due to Teflon or PFOA but due to its natural mineral coating and three layers of food-grade granite-like finish.
- Usually, using metal utensils in nonstick pans is considered a sin but this is not the case with this frying pan. The best feature of this nonstick pan is that you can use metal utensils in it. Yes, you heard it right, because the surface of the pan is rock-like which ensures its durability and longevity of use and does not gets scratched or loses its non-stick properties.
- This pan is good for making steaks, baking pizza cheese fries, and sauté vegetable. This granite pan resists warping and can be used in temperature up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit or 260 degrees Celsius. If you need a pan to bake with in addition to cooking on the stovetop, then this pan is a must-have.
- The handle of the pan is stainless which no doubt transmits heat, so you always must be cautious when holding it. Hold it using a cloth towel or oven mitts otherwise you’ll get your fingers burned. Also, this is the point where the usability of the granite pans depends. Metal or steel handles are oven safe for up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit and can improve the versatility of the pan.
- It is easy to scrub it off as nothing sticks on it. It is also dishwasher safe and so it adds to your comfort.
- Granite rock is not iron-based which means it will not work on induction cooktops because it has an aluminum core.
- Like copper cookware, Granite pans do not react with acidic or alkaline foods and thus do not cause a metallic taste in the food.
Are Granite Pans Safe?
Manufacturers of granite frying pans utilize a stone-derived coating that offers good non-stick performances while remaining free of controversial harmful chemicals. The natural mineral surface is non-stick, scratch-resistant, and durable. Granite pans generally provide the same non-stick performances when compared to Teflon pans. However, granite pans have a more durable and scratch-resistant finish and are not easily damaged by steel spoons (if used inside). A granite finish doesn’t wear off easily which holds the non-stick properties for longer than Teflon. Granite pans also do not emit toxic fumes when overheated. But it is good to not overheat the pans to ensure their long-term usage.
However, what the coating of the pan contains is not mentioned either. Bear in mind that many nonstick cookwares have PTFE in their coating. They will be advertised as PFOA-free which is not surprising because PFOA has been phased out in the manufacturing process of nonstick coatings in the USA due to its harmful effects. But PTFE is not the same as PFOA and that can remain in cookware. If the concern is about the harmful PFOA in its nonstick coating, then you can be assured that it is free of this chemical as the packaging has explicitly said so, in that sense, your granite cookware is safe.
Granite Rock Cookware Set
Granite pans are either available individually or in sets. The granite cookware sets may contain 3, 4, 6, 10, or even more pieces. Some of the sets are listed below.
GRANITESTONE 5-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set
This set includes 8.5 frying pan, 10.25 frying pan with a lid, and a quart pot with a lid. It has the same properties as mentioned earlier i.e. has a mineral coating, oven safe up to 260 degrees Celsius, and triple food-grade granite layers for maximum durability and to prevent age or heat-induced warping. The lip pan can be used for boiling purposes.
GRANITESTONE 2807 10-Piece Non-Stick Ultra Durable and Mineral & Granite Coated Scratch Proof Cookware Set
This set includes 8.5 fry pan, 10.25 fry pan with lid, 1.5-quart saucepan with lid, 2.5-quart saucepan with lid, 5-quart saucepan with lid and stainless-steel steamer tray insert. Other than this, it also includes bonus 5-piece kitchen tools that are safe to use in granite cookware.
CW0005535 – GreenPan Rio 12pc Ceramic Non-Stick Cookware Set
This set includes 8.15-inch fry pan, 9.75-inch fry pan, 9.75-inch Deep Fry Pan with lid, 1.5-quart saucepan with lid, 3-quart casserole with lid, 5-quart casserole with lid, and 2pcs Nylon Tools.
This Granite set has wooden handles which not only look stylish but also control heat transmission to a greater extent. I would still recommend using a cloth towel to hold it because it is better not to take any risk. This set is suitable for all stoves including induction.
Taking Care of the granite nonstick pans
Granite cookware can last enough long if used with care. If you have a granite pan or is planning to buy one, make sure you take these simple precautions to be safe and to make your pan last longer
- Always heat the pan to medium-high heat. High heat will ruin the non-stick coating however, the medium-high heat will preserve the non-stick coating.
- Do not purposely scratch the surface of your nonstick pan with a knife or any other sharp object.
- To be on the safe side and ensure the durability of your nonstick cookware, use wooden or bamboo spatulas instead of metal spatulas and refrain using knives to preserve the non-stick coating.
- Wash your cookware with a gentle hand. Do not scrub it off using a hard mesh. You can also wash it with hot water. In this case, you’ll have to wear gloves, but your pan will be cleaned in a single go.
- Do not put the hot pan under cold water immediately after cooking. Doing this might affect its nonstick properties.
- Cook food on medium. High heats can also damage the surface of the pan and thus results in reducing the life span of your cookware.